Friday, September 08, 2006

Scrapbook Titles I Recommend

By Christina VanGinkel

Every so often, I try to sort through the piles of materials and shelves of books and magazines that continually seem to grow in my scrapbook room. As I emptied a shelf of old and new book titles onto my desk recently, I soon realized this was not going to be a quick task, as I kept stopping to open this book or that, checking bookmarks I had inserted, some recently, and some long ago. As I moved through the growing stack of books, with the intention of weeding a few titles out to make room for a couple of new ones that I was hoping to purchase, I came to the realization that it would be easier to ask my husband to build me another bookshelf. That would unquestionably be easier than it would be to part with just about any of the titles before me.

As I continued with my reorganization though, even though I was finding myself reluctant to part with any titles whatsoever, I did realize that I have several favorites. Titles that I often find myself referring to those people who are new to the hobby of scrapbooking, and who might ask me for direction when it comes to information on something specific, such as journaling, or for basic what to do next information. With that in mind, I decided to share just a couple of those same titles with you all, so that you too can benefit from the wonderful authors and editors who are behind many of my favorite scrapbook related titles.

The Book of Me, by Angie Pedersen

This is part how to, part inspiration, and a whole lot of fun. If your scrapbooking tends to focus more on everyone else in your life, but you have a goal to scrap who you are, this is the ideal book for you. It will help future generations look back and know who it was behind all of the work and insight into the scrapbooks you leave behind, as part of your legacy. I highly recommend that you run to your nearest scrapbook store and pick up a copy of The Book of Me, by Angie Pedersen, or go online and order yourself a copy of this wonderful book. With this book as a guide, prompting you to create the one scrapbook all Scrapbookers should, you will soon be on your way to telling your story, and not just everyone else's. (Angie Pedersen also ahs two other great titles, Growing up Me, and the Book of Us, so be sure to check out those two titles too!)

Little Book of Big Ideas, by Ki Memories

Actually, this is a binder filled with ideas and room for extras, but it is an absolute favorite so I had to include it here. The binder is organized in such a way that it is easy to find just what help you need at the time.

Where's Thena, I Need a Poem About... by whom else but Thena Smith Herself

I happen to belong to a couple of scrapbook related online lists, and one such list is actually the first place I was fortunate enough to be introduced to the work of this person. She was then and is still known to pen a poem on the fly if someone asks, for just about any event or occasion, from the typical wedding and birthday events that we all experience, to the more serious side of life such as the loss of an infant or child. Thena Smith has penned many a poem, and if you are looking for words to ad to your layouts, because you just are not that great at journaling, or for those times when a poem will just work better than anything you could come up with, be sure to add this title to your scrap booker's bookshelf. Another title of hers that you might enjoy, especially if you find yourself doing many layouts about your kids or grandchildren in school is, Taste of Paste: Poems for the Classroom. Besides making use of the included poems in this text for your scrapbook layouts, you will also find other uses such as notes to teachers, and sharing with the kids themselves that is sure to bring forth many a smile.

While there are many more titles that I love, these few are winners whether you are new to scrapping or have been around the block a few times and are just looking for fresh ideas. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Thena said...

Thank you so much for the kind words about my work. It is my joy and privilege to share my verses with scrappers, hobbyists and friends. When I see one of my verses on someones layout or craft, it makes me smile. I am thankful every day for the opportunity to share what I love to do with others.

Sincerely,
Thena Smith