Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Great Photo Spots in Rome

If you are lucky enough to be able to travel to the Italian cities of Rome and Pisa, then you will want to be sure that all of your photographic equipment is in tip-top shape because you will be presented with the photo opportunities of a lifetime. Read on to find out where I took some of my best pictures while on my vacation to Italy.

There are so many historical sites and beautiful churches in Rome that you probably won't be able to hit them all unless you are staying in the city for an extended time. One of my favorite photos from Italy is the view from the top of the dome at St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican City. From that vantage point, you can get a breathtaking shot of the sweeping lines of St. Peter's Square hundreds of feet below you.

Another spot that makes for a great photograph is on the Spanish Steps. This is a place where people just kind of gather to hang out and chat. Therefore, it's a great spot for taking candid photos of your traveling companions or of taking photos of the other people that are loitering about.

No photographic odyssey through Rome would be complete without a stop at the Coliseum. The best pictures of the Coliseum are taken from the outside, though it is worthwhile to go in and check out the old gladiator battlegrounds. If you can adjust the settings on your camera to accommodate night shots, then I recommend photographing the Coliseum at night when it is lit up by spotlights. You might want to bring a tripod for these photos in order to ensure that you get the clear and steady shots.

Rome really lends itself to fun and whimsical photos as well as the serious stuff. For example, if you are a fan of the movie Roman Holiday, then a visit to the Mouth of Truth is a must. You will most likely encounter a long line of folks waiting to get a photo taken with their hand in the Mouth of Truth.

Another great photo that I have from Rome is from the Protestant Cemetery at the grave of the poet John Keats. I am a big fan of Keats, so when I went to Rome I made sure I had a volume of Keats' poetry with me. Then when I visited his final resting place, I had my friend take a picture of me leaning up against his headstone reading his book. It's a great photo because the title of the book is clearly visible, as well as the inscription on the headstone. If you have any interests like this, then by all means, stage some of your own photographs.

Finally, be sure to have someone take a photo of you tossing some coins into the Trevi Fountain. According to an age-old tradition, throwing coins into this fountain guarantees a return trip to the Eternal City in the future. Even if you don't believe in that, at least you will have a picture of the most beautiful fountain in all of Rome!

No comments: